Getting pulled over for a DUI can be a scary and overwhelming experience. Whether you’ve had a drink or two or you’re completely sober, seeing those flashing lights in your rearview mirror can be enough to make your heart skip a beat.
But what happens next? What are your rights, and what legal options do you have?
In California, DUI laws can be particularly strict, with serious consequences for those who are convicted. That’s why it’s important to understand your rights and legal options if you are pulled over for a DUI.
This guide covers everything you need to know about being pulled over for a DUI in California. If you need legal representation for DUI charges, contact a Rancho Cucamonga DUI lawyer from Kolacia Law Firm. You can’t change your past, but we can help you create a better future.
The Traffic Stop
During a traffic stop for a suspected DUI, the police officer will observe your behavior and ask you to perform field sobriety tests. These tests can include walking in a straight line, standing on one leg, and following a moving object with your eyes.
The officer may also ask you to take a breathalyzer or blood test to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC). In California, the legal limit for BAC is 0.08% for drivers over 21 years old. If the officer believes that you are under the influence, you may be arrested and charged with a DUI.
If you are pulled over for a suspected DUI in California, you have certain rights that you should be aware of. These rights include the right to remain silent, the right to refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, and the right to speak with an attorney before answering any questions. However, it’s important to note that there can be consequences for refusing a chemical test, such as a license suspension.
It’s also essential to remain calm and respectful while politely asserting your rights during the traffic stop. If you are unsure about your rights or have been arrested for a DUI, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced DUI lawyer who can provide guidance and representation.
In California, the consequences of a DUI conviction can be severe. Penalties can include fines, license suspension, mandatory alcohol education or treatment programs, community service, and even jail time. A DUI conviction can also impact your employment opportunities and lead to higher insurance premiums.
The severity of the consequences can depend on various factors, such as the driver’s BAC level, prior DUI convictions, and whether property damage or injury was involved.
With all the consequences on the line, it’s important that you take your DUI charge seriously. You should work with an experienced DUI lawyer who can help you build a strong defense and protect your rights.
How Can a DUI Lawyer Help?
A DUI lawyer can provide valuable guidance and representation if you’ve been charged with a DUI in California.
Here are some ways that a DUI lawyer can help:
- Review the evidence – A DUI lawyer can review the police reports, chemical test results, and other evidence to identify potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
- Challenge the legality of the traffic stop – If the traffic stop was illegal, a DUI lawyer can argue that any evidence obtained from the stop should be suppressed.
- Challenge the accuracy of chemical tests – A DUI lawyer can challenge the accuracy of breathalyzer or blood tests, which can be prone to errors.
- Negotiate with the prosecution – A DUI lawyer can negotiate with the prosecution for reduced charges or alternative sentencing options.
- Represent you in court – A DUI lawyer can represent you in court and provide knowledgeable and effective advocacy.
- Provide guidance and support – A DUI lawyer can provide advice and support throughout the legal process, explaining your options and helping you understand the potential consequences of a DUI conviction.
Overall, a DUI lawyer is an invaluable resource as you navigate the legal system. If you’re facing DUI charges, it’s imperative that you work with an attorney so they can protect your rights and interests.
Contact Kolacia Law Firm Today
A DUI conviction can have serious consequences, but with the help of an experienced DUI lawyer, you can build a strong defense and protect your rights in court. From challenging the accuracy of chemical tests to negotiating with the prosecution, a DUI lawyer can provide valuable guidance and representation throughout the legal process.
At Kolacia Law Firm, we have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you navigate the complex California DUI laws and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact us today for a free consultation.